Tuesday 7 June 2011

Wave

Yesterday, howling south-easterly wind and beautiful lenticular clouds everywhere. Rigged and lunched, I take a launch at about 2pm. At 1000 feet we are through a very rough rotor and the tug pilot is rocking his wings once then second time, then dips his nose forward. I don't really have a choice and release. Not ideal.

So now I am thrown about in an extremely rough thermal, holding on to the stick with both hands and banking at 60 degrees and trying to stop the rotor from tipping me over. At the same time i am being drifted away from the airfield at 25 knots.

Luckily i manage to climb away gradually, the climb then turn into a very nice 7 knots that takes me to cloudbase at 6000 feet, then into the wave climbing up to 7000 feet.

Visibility is brilliant, which was not necessarily a good thing as to the north, which is the main task zone, all i can see is forests and lakes and to the South is huge lake.....

No comments:

Post a Comment